Wrexham to install temporary Kop stand

Wrexham are to install a new temporary stand at the Stok Cae Ras.

The development funded by owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney will take the capacity beyond 10,000 for the first time in 15 years.

A new 5,500 all-seater stand is planned as a long term replacement for the Kop end, unused since 2008.

After delays to the start of work, a temporary 2,289 stand will be erected and could be ready for the Welsh derby with Newport County on 23 December.

Wrexham have regularly sold out home games since their high-profile takeover by the Hollywood duo in February 2021, including capacity 10,771 crowds following their return to the Football League for the first time since 2008.

A club spokesman said: “We are making good progress resolving the outstanding matters before the Kop Development can commence, but with a minimum of three months mobilisation period before work can start on site, we can now install a temporary stand without negatively impacting the construction programme for the Kop.

“The costs of the temporary stand will be greater than generated from ticket sales, but the Board felt the priority was to enable more fans to see the team live and address the frustration felt by some that they can’t get a ticket for games.”

The temporary stand will also have accommodation for an additional 20 wheelchairs with the club adding that “applications for the relevant permissions and licences are being made simultaneously with the construction”.

The Kop has not been used by supporters since 2008, the last time the club boasted an attendance over 12,000.

It was demolished in January 2023 ahead of the construction of a new stand, the designs of which featured in the Welcome to Wrexham documentary.

It had been hoped the new stand would be ready for the start of the 2024/25 season, but it was confirmed in September there would be delays to the £25m 12-month project.

The temporary seating will be open to home fans only and could see a 13,000 crowd for the game against Welsh rivals Newport. The pair have not met in the Football League since 1988, with County having already sold-out their away allocation for the fixture.

Dalby looks to shine in Trophy

Wrexham take on League One Burton in the Football League Trophy on Tuesday night with striker Sam Dalby looking for another chance to shine.

Dalby, 23, netted the third goal having come on as a substitute in Wrexham’s 3-0 FA Cup second round victory over Yeovil Town on Sunday.

The former Southend striker has had to be patient this term as he faces formidable competition for a starting place in attack with Paul Mullen, Ollie Palmer and Elliott Lee in good scoring form.

But having netted the only goal in Wrexham’s 1-0 win over Newcastle United under-21s in the FLT home game in September, Dalby is hoping for an opportunity to add to his tally.

He said: “We have four or five good strikers in the team. Every time you get on the pitch it’s an opportunity to show how good you are and try to get in the team for the next week.

“Any opportunity to play coming off the bench or starting in a game like on Tuesday night is important just to show what I can do really. We have a strong squad so every opportunity counts and you just have to take them.”

High flying Wrexham, who are second in League Two and five points adrift of leaders Stockport County, now face a hectic seven more games before they travel to play Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup third round on the weekend of January 6.

But Dalby said the schedule will not worry the club. “We all want to be playing games. We can rotate our team and still have a very strong side, so we are not phased by that.”